Monday, May 27, 2013

5.27.13 Comics, Cats and Squirrels

Hello There!
I have not posted very much this month and that sucks, I know.  I'm not between project anymore and now I'm really busy and haven't had a lot of time to post or do much of anything but work on stuff--that's how my summers usually go, so I was prepared for this!  Plus, I am working on some really fun stuff.  I love drawing. (-:
  A couple of weeks ago I was at the ComiCon here in Minneapolis and it was really fun.  I was reminded of my love of mainstream comics and all things Batman.  A couple of years ago I had a really annoying sexist experience, nothing new but it was the limit for me and I vowed that day that I would never draw a mainstream book or character again--except for Disney because it's Disney!!--and I have kept this vow because I'm a girl of my word.  However, I decided it had been enough time and it's just for fun so why not?  So, I made this image for a friend of mine, who's been wanting me to make him a Supergirl for a LONG time!

Supergirl!! 

That turned out nicely, so I decided to make an image of MY favorite character, Catwoman!  I prefer Catwoman in her 90's incarnation, in the purple suit.  She was such a badass then.  She lived in a penthouse and when she went out at night to steal jewels and such, she would just leap from her balcony and fly through the city with her whip, Spider-Man style!!  With that idea in mind I made a few sketches.  I used to draw Catwoman all the time but, since I refused to draw mainstream characters for so long, I had to get back in the groove.  But it didn't take long to loosen up:

I normally wouldn't post a page from my sketchbook like this but a friend of mine insisted that this is the sort of thing people like to see...But, anyway, note that I chose my favorite pose and inked only that one....I may mess around with the others later...probably not, though.

I love how this turned out!  I used the Chicago skyline because Gotham City is originally based on Chi-town.   But, really, how amaze-balls is Catwoman?  She's got night-vision goggles in her mask.  I like this one way better than Supergirl.

Then, I met up with another friend and asked him who his favorite badass DC heroine? Because I'm a DC kinda girl. He said Wonder Woman!  Like he'd been waiting for me to ask him this whole time.  So, I let him art direct me a little, which was a lot of fun.  He even acted out the pose--he was very specific about this image!! And here is the end result:

Diana, Queen of the Amazons!!
I think she turned out nicely, I don't think I've ever drawn Wonder Woman before and  I want to do another, more action-oriented pose...when I have time...maybe next fall?

Anyway, a strange thing that happened this last week is that Marvel's totally obscure X-Man character, Squirrel Girl, came up in conversation, randomly three different times with three different people and they all started this way:  "Hey, Becky, have you ever heard of that X-Man character, Squirrel Girl?"  How strange is that?  At first I thought they were in cahoots but it turned out that that was not so.  But, I was, three times, reminded of MY "Squirrel Girl,"  Rabbit St Cloud, who I haven't thought about in a while...She's still up to no good, FYI.  So I decided to make a nice cameo portrait of her and her little friends, who are WAY cooler than Marvel's squirrels. I might add. Here's the first sketch:

First I drew the profile and then, months later I drew in the squirrels and now, months later, I'm about to finish it....that's how it goes sometimes!

Rabbit St. Cloud.
I am really happy with how her character is evolving.  (:
 
 WELL, I just finished a big chunk of work and now I'm ready for a nap.  I love sleep.  So much.  And lately, I've been noticing that the solutions to my creative problems are solved in my dreams about 85% of the time. The more sleep, the better...and it also is really good for your skin.  Bonus!
Thanks for the visit!  Enjoy your time on the inter-webs!
Next Week:  More Joseph Art!!
--Beckaroo!

No comments:

Post a Comment