Monday, July 11, 2011

Week Two! 07.11.2011

Hello there and welcome to week 2 of my blog!

This week I have been focusing on expanding the storyboard section of my work.  I decided to take scenes from some of my earlier comic work and make them into story boards.  I used a scene from "Hero's Journey" and "Sock Monkey Theatre Presents: Atalanta and the three Golden Apples."  You can read both here:  www.beckylaff.com   ..... in the Comics sections.
  
Here is the scene from "Hero's Journey":


 Some of the panels are colored, you may have noticed, that is because I am in the middle of coloring this scene.  I've been distracted by this next scene I'm working on.  "Atalanta and the 3 Golden Apples" is one of my very favorite greco-roman myths.  I decided to use it for my project, "Sock Monkey Theatre Presents:"  In it, I tell classic myths and literature using sock monkeys instead of people--it's fun times--if you don't believe me, you should go to my website and see for yourself!........in the Comics section. 
  This scene from Atalanta has lent itself well to being story boarded because I see it playing out very cinematically.  This is very early in process and so the drawings are very rough, just sketches, really, and some panels may be too scrawly to see clearly.  As I move along in the process, they will become much clearer so I encourage you to check back!

So, of course I want to show some work from my other projects, too!   This is one panel and one page from my adaptation of Gaston Leroux's "The Phantom of the Opera."


I am very happy with how this project is coming along.  Right now I'm spending more time developing the script and trying to get my color palette sorted out.  I mentioned last week I want a faded, old look to the color.  I'm going to be using this page, as well as four others, to play around with color combos.  I will, of course, post what I'm working on.

  I also love to draw just for fun.  Can you believe that?  here's a mermaid!





  This is another sketch I intend to color.

  Here is a card from the Tarot Deck I'm designing, "The Sock Monkey Tarot,"  This card is "The Devil" and that card is Trouble!  I enjoyed working with the color in this image.  I wanted to make an overall red composition that felt oppressive and claustrophobic.  I think I achieved that, so, of course!  I'm very pleased with it.  You can see all the cards I've finished thus far at my website, www.beckylaff.com  ......in the Sock Monkeys section....

So, that is it for my blog entry for this week. I will leave you with this incredible image from Chile's volcano. 



Crazy-cool, huh?
Have fun on the inter-webs, friends!
Beckaroooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment