Monday, April 22, 2013

04.22.13 Just playing around.... (:

Hi, there!
WELCOME to my studio!
Well, currently I am between projects and waiting to hear what I may or may not be working on in the next few months.  This is the time when I would normally lose my mind waiting to hear "yes" or "no" but I've  learned just to keep myself occupied with ... whatever--this time I tried to do something different and  I realized I haven't attempted a portrait or a self-portrait, for that matter, since college.  Some artists love doing self-portraits and others, like myself, are made very uncomfortable by them. So I decided to work on a cartoon image of myself and break out of my comfort zone for a bit.  Here is the first attempt....my eyes aren't really that big, FYI.

My hair is really like this if I don't clip it down.

 I have mixed feelings about that one--it's only the first attempt!! What I liked most was how the pencil lines look!  I always am compelled to take a drawing all the way to an inked line but, at the same time, I feel that my pencil drawings are always much stronger. SO....I decided to try something...check this out:

Here is a drawing of me manipulating space, time and matter to create a star.  This star will then create a system of planets around it.  Among those planets, one--maybe two--will grow life and that life will entertain me endlessly with their crazy-interesting stories .... (-:


Once I had the drawing I wanted, I decided to try a different method of coloring the lines so that I would not have to alter the pencil lines at all and this is what happened:


I think I might love this...I think I may be done with inked lines...Sorry, inked lines, we had such a wonderful thing for so long. but it's time to move on!!
 And now, the final outcome of my wee experiment:

I call this:  "Beckaroo's Dream"


  Well, I'm very happy with the final product and I think I'm going to work more in this looser, more sketchy style.  It has a more energetic feeling to it, I think.
  The next image I'm working on has a really funny story to it!  One of my friends told me that the night before that I had burst into their dream on the back of a giraffe with a unicorn horn.  This sounds like exactly something I would do so that's not the weird part--the weird part is that I had drawn said girafficorn in my sketch-book not one month earlier! (she hadn't seen the drawing, okay?!) I love when that kind of thing happens so I decided to draw the dream--here's the sketch:

Weeeeeeee!!!!!
 Okay, so obviously my world is pretty awesome these days--and lucky you, that I share it with you.  (:
Here's the Girafficorn of our dreams!

  I have one last little drawing/story to share that I love!  On my birthday I was walking by the Mississippi River and saying (sarcastically, of course, this is the Midwest)  "Thanks so much, Minnesota, for this AMAZING birthday weather!  I can always count on you!!"  you see, we've been in this endless winter from hell for, like, EVER and NO!!  it's not normal!!!  But, anyway, precisely when those words were uttered, the clouds parted!  the sky became that super deep Minnesota blue and I looked up and saw two bald eagles flying around! They weren't hunting, they were just enjoying being eagles--which is exactly what I would do if I were an eagle.   They are so magnificent to see and I was suddenly filled with a deep sense that this is going to be a great year for me.  And I think that's true so I decided to draw those eagles, just how I saw them:

I heart MN!

Sometimes I wonder why I've lived in Minnesota for so long and then something like that happens and I remember that even though the winter can be awful, the beautiful times are incomparable.  I think it just may be worth it...And plus, the lilacs will be here soon!  Yay!!!  Spring!!!  :-D

Thanks for the visit but I have to get outside ASAP!  To the river!
See you next week with more art, more colors and more Girafficorns!
--Beckarooo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment