Monday, October 15, 2012

10.15.12 Rabbits and Hyper-Intelligent Squirrels...also a wedding!

Hey there, out there in world!
I am back from a super fun trip to NYC and CT to be a bridesmaid at my big sis's wedding--the MOST fun I've had since last year when I was a bridesmaid at my twin sis's wedding.  What can I say?  We know how to have fun.
  But did you think all that excitement and dancing would stop me from drawing?  Are you crazy?!  My passion burns with the intensity of a thousand suns gone Nova!  (I wish I was joking about that sometimes...)  I actually got so much work done I amazed myself!  But most of what I was doing was writing and I'm not going to post my script, obviously, but I will post some of the sketches that have come out of it and I'll tell you a bit about the story--just enough to make you want more...
  Some of you out there who have known me for a very long time know that I've had this idea for a long time:  Rabbit St. Cloud, her hyper-intelligent squirrels and the Dystopic-Utopia they create "together."   But it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that the final pieces fell into place.
 Sometimes inspiration comes when you are least expecting it.  For example, I was recently sucked into a conversation that I didn't want to have about entropy and since then I've been obsessing over the concept (don't get me started, okay, because there's a novel's worth of things I have to say about that!)  but suddenly, amid all this thinking, I realized that this was the over-arching, central theme of Rabbit's story:  is there a purpose to life or is this all there is?  I don't think I'll be getting that answer anytime soon so I'll just make a comic about it! There are a lot of other morals and twists, of course--this is an EPIC tale--but, really, this is the main point of the story.
 Oh wait--there's also zombies in this story and they have hot-pink glowing blood. You know you want it :-P
 I wrote out the entire plot layout in a day!!  No, that doesn't normally happen and yes, it was really fun.  I love this story and I can't wait to share it with all of you but unfortunately comics and stories, in general, take a lot of time and work to bring into this world so you will have to be patient, like me, and let it unfold as it will--also it's 2nd in line to Hero's Journey... I'm not so patient so I'll be drawing it really fast when the time comes. :)  Also, until I start full-on working on it, this will be the most of Rabbit you will see.....

I know this looks like the White House but it isn't.  This was my first vision of Rabbit's estate.  It's based on American monuments, which means it will have a Grecian  theme with a little twist of Egypt to the architecture--but the inside is Rococo which will make a lot of sense (if you know your Art History)  when the story starts to unfold.
Rabbit St. Cloud is definitely not the most trustworthy person.  I think of her a lot like post-plague Justinian, or  a little bit toned-down Old Tiberius--only if they were really convinced they had good intentions, that is.
 Do you NOT know who I'm talking about?  Jeez, study up on your Roman Emperors....though, technically, Justinian was Byzantine....Still counts as Rome in my opinion.  The point is, she has a creepy, thousand-yard stare I'm trying to get down.  I'm close.  so close!
I know these squirrels look really cute and you may be thinking  "I wish I had some cute little squirrels that would give me all the answers and direct my career to its acme....sigh..."  All I have to say to that is this:  don't listen to a word they say!!  If they even start talking, it's already too late for you.

I hope the Rococo elements are coming through in this super-rough sketch--this is Rabbit's office.  It's her throne room, her sanctuary and she has this giant window she can survey her lands through.  She's a bit like Yertle the Turtle in that way. She also has a super ornate and amazing skylight which is not pictured here.

And here are the real stars of the story:  The insidious and hyper-intelligent  mutated squirrels: 6-Legs, 2-Heads and 2-Tails.  6-Legs is the ring leader of the gang.  I can't wait to show you them in color--they are pink, orange and green.  But the pink one is a boy so take that, society, and your dumb gender/color associations!!

I'm so excited about this story but don't worry, I'm still focused on "Hero's Journey" because that one has a lot of forward momentum right now.  But Rabbit St. Cloud is the next in line and by the time I will sit down to actually produce pages for it, it will come out really fast because everything is already laid out.  See how that works?  Foresight.

Well, thanks, again, for visiting the little internet extension to my studio!  Be by next week for more fun times.  I will leave you with this picture of me flying in Times Square because I love it!  I love Times Square and I love Broadway and this pic captures just how I feel every time I'm there!  I know, I'm such a cliche but  I can't be super original in every single little way--that's just exhausting.  And look, the Lion King is right there and on the other side that you can't see is the Disney Store so I'm positioned perfectly in the square to be surrounded by Disney!



Well, I've exhausted myself this week and I need a nap. That's how I know I've been a good artist. :-)
 Here I come, sleepy-times--I earned you!
Till next week!
--Beckarooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment