Monday, December 3, 2012

12.03.12 Landscapes ...

Well, friends, it's the time of year when I'm extra happy I'm an artist because I don't have to worry about what to get people for Christmas/Hanukkah.  So I'm busy at work making Christ-mukkah presents for the family.  And that's all I'll say because they are my family and they read this blog!
  This is all good timing because I need a break for a bit from "Hero's Journey."  I also wanted to get in some more practice with color. Also, I'm sure you've noticed that most of my work is human or animal in subject and I decided it was time to do something outside my comfort zone. I've been really into landscapes lately  so these last couple weeks I've been working on that.  Landscaping has been very fun and definitely not what I usually do but I will be doing more in the future, for certain.
 The inspiration for these next two illustrations began when I was reading into the Victorian flower language (which is one of my favorite ways to insert symbolism into my work) and I stumbled across a flower called Dartura--but WAY back in the day they called it "Moonflower"  and then I had a vision of these glowing, phosphorous flowers and so I decided I would make that happen as a sort of practice assignment for myself.      I documented the process a bit so, here you go:
This is a sketch I did of actual Dartura Flowers with a little embellishment, of course, artistic license and what-not . . .

Here is the line drawing based on that sketch.  Hello, Little Spider Friend!

The almost completely finished piece.  I like it but it's a little "girly" looking to me.  I'm trying to be okay with that.  (:

This sketch/image I like much better.  This I drew after I learned that this flower used to be called "Moonflower" and I imagined looking up at them in the middle of the night.  I also imagined them to have a magical sort of glow so they would earn their name.  SIGH....So pretty and peaceful, I love it.

Here is the line drawing.  Not much without the color so let's just quickly move on ...

Oh how I love this!  It's like a snap shot of my imaginary world. This one is getting framed and put up on the wall--it's a winner! I Hope you like it as much as I do!  (and PS can you spot the spider?)
  These glowing flowers will appear in Hero's Journey so you could think of them as conceptual art, as well.
So .... I'm not doing a very good job of taking a break from Hero's Journey, am I?  Maybe someday I'll learn how to relax properly. :-)

  More stuff!!  Here are some fun motion drawings I made of the baby I spend the most time with.  She's the cutest baby I've ever seen--you may not believe me--or you may think I'm biased--even with these drawings as proof--but, trust me, she is ALL personality and, believe me, she knows how to work it.
  She's my little Boo!!  I've been doing motion drawings of her once a month since she was 7 months old.  This is her at 9 months, 9 days:


I wish I could do her cuteness justice!!

So that's been my work-packed week!
  I wish I could stick around and post some more stuff but it's been a strangely busy week for me and I've got to go!  I'm running late!!  Be well, all my internet friends!!
Thanks for visiting, again!
More next week--
Beckaroooooo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment