Monday, March 4, 2013

03.04.13 More Phantom Art!

Hello, there, internet friends!
Welcome back to my (Beckaroo's) studio and I'm so happy you are here because I just finished this illustration of Christine Daae, from "The Phantom of the Opera," singing on stage at the Paris Opera House and I love Love LOVE it!  This image has been in my head for years--I drew the first really solid sketch of it over a year ago.  I did a ton of sketching since then of the space and of course, designing Christine and her dress.   And it was so smart that I did all that because when I sat down to finally produce this image it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would! I found that I knew every little detail already and it was a little like putting together a puzzle I had already put together many times.
 So Satisfying! (so much so it got a capital 'S')
On to the art!!

An extremely small sampling of sketches.

The final sketch.  I LOVE this drawing.  I gets to live and not be recycled.

Here are the final black lines.  With this image what I'm really trying to say is:  I am REALLY good at drawing.   I hope that's coming across clearly...?  (:

Here is the image with only the color and no lines on top.  I'm so pleased with how this looks that I could  just leave it but the lines add that little bit of detail that I love so much.

"The Chandelier"  The final image.  LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.  that's the only word I have for this image.  That's mostly because the  English Language is very limited in that way.  

Here are some practice images of Christine Daae.  Someday I'll have a dress like that.  Someday.  (:

   I titled this image "The Chandelier" but that is only temporary.  I'm open to more poetic suggestions but that has never been my thing.  Poetry, I mean. The title suggests, as I'm sure you are also made aware by the compositional elements that draw your eye upward, that this picture is really about the chandelier and less about Christine.  As anyone who knows the story of "The Phantom of the Opera" knows, the chandelier incident is one of the bigger parts of the story.  YOu also may have noticed (if you know the Paris Opera House) that that is NOT the Marc Chagall painting up there.  That's because Chagall was a 20th century artist and this stroy takes place in 1881.  I have tried and tried and failed to find any reference to what the painting was that used to be there so I finally decided to just make it the heavens with angels and stuff because that's what is in the Foyer.  Consistency, anyway.  Plus it goes along with the story. you know, "Angels of Music" and whatnot.

This actually isn't the only thing I've done this week but the other image I did was a commission so I will be posting it next week, after I present it.  It's pretty freaking cute, just FYI.

  Well, I hope you've enjoyed this week's peek into my studio!  As always, questions and comments are welcome via email and I have a new email address so be sure to double check!!
Thanks for the visit and thanks for all the Phantom love that's been coming my way!  Is there any better kind of love??
:-)
Love, Beckarooooo!!!

1 comment: